The Staples opened in 1999 and since then has been one of the most iconic sports and music destinations in Los Angeles. Today, it’s home to sport teams such as the Los Angeles Lakers, the Los Angeles Clippers and the NHL’s Kings. As the Staples Center celebrates 20 years in LA, it’s a great time to get on a Staples Center guided tour and look back at some of the best moments in Staples Center history. Read on for a bit of Staples Center Los Angeles history!
- The Los Angeles Lakers won the NBA championship. During their very first year at calling the Staples Center home, and the first year that the Staples center opened, the Los Angeles lakers took home the championship trophy.
- First ever double backflip at the X games. In 2006, Travis Pastrana, professional motorsports athlete and stunt performer made history at the X Games when he landed the first ever double backflip in competition history on his motor bike.
- Garth brooks benefit concerts. In 2008, country start Garth Brooks put on 5 five concerts in just two days and raised millions to help the California firefighters and the wildfire victims that took place during the terrible 2007 fire season.
- Los Angeles Kings win the Stanley Cup. In 2012, the Kings won their first ever Stanley Cup victory in franchise history. They defeated the New Jersey devils.
- Taylor Swift breaks record for sold out performances. In 2015, Taylor Swift sold out five shows during her 1989 World Tour, making Staples Center history as record for most sold out shows by an artist.